By Water and Blood: Sin and Purification in John and First John J. Ramsey Michaels
This sequel to "Baptism, the New Testament and the Church" (JSNT Supplements 171) brings together work by J. Ramsey Michaels, Joel Green, Howard Marshall, Bruce Chilton, Craig Evans and the editors, as well as several others, and deals with aspects of baptism from the New Testament and beyond The first section covers baptism in the New Testament, including the meaning of the word 'baptize', the baptism of John, Paul's own baptism and his theology of it, and baptisms in John 13, Acts and Hebrews. The second section deals with baptism in the Early Church, including essays on Jesus's blessing of th children, and baptism in the Epistle of Barnabas and in Gregory of Nyssa. The third section addresses baptism in contemporary theology, embracing ecumenical perspectives, baptism as a trinitarian event, and baptism as memorial, as m1iracle and as falling into and out of power.Nyssa . The third section addresses baptism in contemporary theology, embracing ecumenical perspectives, baptism as a trinitarian event, and baptism as memorial, as miracle and as falling into and out of power.
- Table Of Contents
- Part 1: Baptism in the New Testament
- I. Howard Marshall, "The Meaning of the Verb "Baptize""
- Bruce D. Chilton, "John the Baptist: His Immersion and his Death"
- Craig A. Evans, "The Baptism of John in Typological Context"
- Joel B. Green, ""She and her Household were Baptized" (Acts 16.15): Household Baptism in the Acts of the Apostles"
- Stanley E. Porter, "Did Paul Baptize Himself? A Problem of the Greek Voice System"
- Hazel Sherman, "Getting In and Staying In": Unexpected Connections between E.P. Sanders on Paul and Expectations of Baptism Today"
- Anthony R. Cross, "Spirit- and Water-Baptism in 1 Corinthians 12.13"
- J. Ramsey Michaels, "By Water and Blood: Sin and Purification in John and First John"
- Anthony R. Cross, "The Meaning of "Baptisms" in Hebrews 6.2"
- Part 2: Baptism in the Early Church
- David F. Wright, "Out, In, Out: Jesus" Blessing of the Children and Infant Baptism"
- Everett F. Ferguson, "Christian and Jewish Baptism according to the Epistle of Barnabas"
- Everett F. Ferguson, "The Doctrine of Baptism in Gregory of Nyssa's Oratio Catechetica"
- Part 3: Baptism in Contemporary Theology
- Roy Kearsley, "Baptism then and now: Does Moltmann bury Tertullian or praise him?"
- Steve Holmes, "Baptism: Patristic Resources for Ecumenical Dialogue"
- Graham Watts, "Baptism and the Hiddenness of God"
- Paul Fiddes, "Baptism and the Process of Christian Initiation"
- Philip E. Thompson, "Memorial Dimensions of Baptism"
- Brian Haymes, "The Moral Miracle of Baptism"
- Christopher J. Ellis, "The Baptism of Disciples and the Nature of the Church"
Publisher: T&T Clark
Publisher: T&T Clark